What in the world is StoryBrand?
I’m glad you asked! Donald Miller created the StoryBrand framework because he realized something about human beings: Your brain is constantly trying to keep you alive. One major way it does that is by conserving calories. It will only let you burn calories on things that help you survive and thrive.
If you ever studied Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs in school, you’ll remember that human beings have five basic needs:
- Physical — food, air, water
- Security — shelter, safety
- Social — belonging, love, inclusion
- Self-esteem — power, prestige
- Self-actualization — creativity, development
We are constantly scanning our environment for the things that will help us meet these needs, survive and thrive. If your brand messaging doesn’t immediately tell your customer how you help them survive, they will move on to the next thing. Not because your product isn’t amazing–it is! It’s because you asked them to burn too many calories to figure out how your product helps them survive.
This marketing framework gives marketers the tools we need to create a brand message your potential customers will connect with.
What is the Storybrand framework?
Since the beginning of time, human beings have told stories. They connect us through shared experiences, and emotions. People like to see themselves in stories. In particular, they like to see themselves as the hero of the story.
This is how Storybrand flips the script on brand messaging. It makes your customers and potential customers the hero of the story, not your brand. We tell the customer’s story back to them, which connects them immediately to your product. It also creates a roadmap for a clear message. As a business owner, you have about two seconds to catch the attention of potential customers. To do that you must be crystal clear about what you do, and how it helps the customer survive and thrive.
The Storybrand framework gives us the tools to make your messaging clear, so your customers get it right away and hit that buy now button.
How can StoryBrand marketing benefit my business?
There are a lot of ways Storybrand can help your business! Here are a few:
- Clear messaging: We dig deep into what your customer really needs and how they feel. From there, we create a brandscript that positions you as the one who can improve their lives in a way that’s easy for them.
- An effective sales funnel: I’m going to tell you something you probably don’t want to hear, but here goes…Nobody wants your newsletter. But it’s full of great information about my business, you say. I’m sure it is. The problem is…people don’t care about your business, they care about what helps them survive and thrive. We use Storybrand to create a sales funnel that works because it provides people with the information they want, instead of the information you want them to have.
- A website that gets you leads: We use your brandscript to create a website that follows human brain rules, leverages the power of story and makes it crystal clear what you do and how it will help users survive and thrive. Telling your customer’s story back to them, and a transitional call to action shows them you can make their life better will get you better engagement and more clicks on your buy now button.
If you’re interested in learning more about StoryBrand, contact M Agency today.